More than 1.7 Million Registered Voters Have Personal Information Disclosed
Forensicon just uncovered and reported a massive security breach at the Chicago Board of Election’s website http://www.chicagoelections.com. The last time this happened was back in 2006 when past and present Chairman of the Board of Elections ordered a computer forensics audit, yet here we are again with another major breach of voters’ personal information.
The security breach was discovered when Cyber Security and Computer Forensics firm, Forensicon’s President, Lee Neubecker, was attempting to access the Chicago Board of Elections website http://www.chicagoelections.com.
“I wanted to compare voting patterns between Cleveland, Ohio’s Ward 5 that reported 99% voting rates for President Obama in certain precincts. When I visited the Chicago Board of Election’s website, http://www.chicagoelections.com, to compare election returns of demographically similar wards and precincts in Chicago, I discovered the site would not load. I then tried browsing ftp.chicagoelections.com. The ftp port on chicagoelections.com did not require any authentication, but revealed the voter registration database username and password, among countless other data that should not be accessible to the public. A treasure trove of sensitive voter information such as driver’s license numbers, cell phone numbers, emails, dates of birth and more was revealed,” reported Neubecker.
Forensicon analysts have begun to review some of the compromised data in an attempt to quantify the scope of the information breached and inform the public. One unencrypted spreadsheet alone “fulldump.xls” last modified 11/6/2012 7:10AM contained sensitive information relating to over 1,200 individuals, including names, addresses, full driver’s license numbers, and the last 4 digits of their social security number. This is a massive security breach totaling approximately 5 Gigabytes of website code, registered voter information, election judge information, and much more.
11/16 1:26 pm – Forensicon has transferred all of the data captured from the publicly available site to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
11/13 3:33 pm – The site ftp.chicagoelections.com/ is no longer accessible after Forensicon notified local government officials and law enforcement of the breach. However, the site www.chicagoelections.com is still active.
- Team QDiscovery Hits the Road for Camp Tavor Kids - The flag is down! The 7th Annual Tour L’ Tavor bike ride to raise funds and awareness for Camp Tavor has started! Our own Director of Digital Forensics Yaniv Schiff, and Project Manager Megan Twibell are, we like to imagine, leading the pack of 50 bikers! They will pedal, pound, and pull for three days[...Read More]
- Information Governance Spotlighted by ICLEF - This post on information governance from Helen Geib, QDiscovery General Counsel, was originally published on LinkedIn here. Please visit the original piece to leave any comment. The Indiana Continuing Legal Education Foundation’s Advanced Corporate Counsel program is an annual state-wide event held this year on August 25-26 at Lake Monroe. The round-table format encourages discussions[...Read More]
- Neubecker Attends High Tech Crime Conference - Forensicon’s Lee Neubecker is attending the High Tech Crime Investigation Association Conference and Training Expo this week. The HTCIA has been at the cutting edge of cyber security issues for 30 years. The 4 day conference includes classes and labs on emerging cyber security challenges. It features keynote addresses by law enforcement officials and pioneers in high tech[...Read More]
- Cruz Photo of Rubio and Obama is a Sham - Sham photo doctored up featuring Rubio and Obama Shaking Hands – Photo Forensics Reveals Forgery Forensicon performed forensic analysis on the photo used on the http://www.therealrubiorecord.com/images/dems.jpg website. Forensicon performed both EXIF metadata analysis and ELA photo analysis, both which reveals the photo is a forgery. Therealrubiorecord.com features doctored up photo. Marco Rubio allegedly shaking hands[...Read More]
- FBI Uses Digital Forensics to Investigate Attacks - Recent Killings of Navy Sailor and Four Marines Demands Digital Forensics The recent killings of four Marines and a Navy sailor in Tennessee has FBI investigators following the gunman’s electronic trail in a search for the motive behind the shootings. Federal agents flew the computer, cellphone and other electronic devices belonging to Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez[...Read More]