Detroit Zoo Gift Shop Payment Processing Terminals Hacked
The Detroit Zoo disclosed this week that their gift shop checkout terminals fell prey to hackers. The impacted parties are believed to be limited to those individuals who made purchases from the gift shop using their credit cards.
Service Systems Associates, a third-party operator of concessions and retail services for the Detroit Zoo, experienced a data security breach of their point-of-sale systems in nine zoo gift shops between March 23 and June 25, 2015. We are deeply concerned about this matter and are monitoring the investigation. Further information will be shared as it becomes available.
The security breach reportedly impacted 7 other zoos nationwide, all of whom reportedly were using Service Systems Associates as a payment processing vendor. The timeframe when information was believed to be exposed is limited to March 23rd through June 25th of this year. The leadership at the Detroit Zoo is commended for taking swift actions to inform the public and those impacted after remediating the breach around June 25th, 2015.
According to the Detroit Zoo’s website, the breach impacted only the retail shop and none of the food terminals. Terminals used for ticket sales reportedly were not impacted by the breach.
Detroit Zoo’s Advisory: What should I do if I suspect fraudulent activity on my account?
If your credit or debit card reveals fraudulent activity, it’s advisable to notify your card issuer as soon as possible and report any unauthorized charges. Most credit card companies do not hold customers liable for fraudulent charges if they are promptly reported. Additionally, here is some advice from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau:
If you believe you are a victim of identity theft, you should contact one of the consumer reporting agencies listed below to place a fraud alert on your credit report. You only need to contact one of the three credit reporting companies to place an alert.
- TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 67990, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
- Equifax: 1-800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
- Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742); www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013
For more details on the steps to take if you are a victim of identity theft, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft website at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/.
- Staff Recognized for Departing Employee Investigations - The first issue of Corporate Counsel Business Journal, CCBJ, includes an interview with our Director of Digital Forensics, Yaniv Schiff, and Solutions Architect, Curtis Collette, on the evolution of departing employee investigations. Departing Employee: When Do Investigations Become Necessary? appeared in the print publication, online edition, and on CCBJ’s In-House Tech website. For Increasing Numbers of Employers, Departing Employee Investigations[...Read More]
- Chicago Office Food Drive – The Results Are In - QDiscovery’s Chicago Office collected nearly 1,000 containers of food for the local food bank this Holiday Season! Our office competed with sister offices in Indiana and Connecticut. Alas, we came in third. Our sister offices each collected nearly 2,000 containers for their local food banks. Relatively new to the company-wide food drive, the Forensics Division[...Read More]
- QDiscovery Forensics Team Develops Award Winning App! - QDiscovery is winner of a 2017 Relativity Innovation Award. Presented at Relativity Fest, the award celebrates organizations that create apps or integrations that extend the functionality of Relativity’s eDiscovery software. Our development team created an application that makes the analysis of mobile collections much more manageable. Relativity users can now produce and review mobile device data[...Read More]
- Moving and Changing - Acquired by Connecticut-based QDiscovery in 2016, Forensicon’s capabilities multiplied overnight, both in forensics brain power and eDiscovery expertise. As part of a leading provider of end to end litigation support, moving to larger offices that are more central to the Chicago legal community was inevitable.
- QDiscovery Named One of the Top 20 Providers of Legal Services! - Leading industry publication, CIO Magazine, has named Forensicon’s parent company, QDiscovery, to it’s Top 20 Providers of Legal Services. The annual listing includes 20 companies that are at the forefront of providing legal solutions and impacting the marketplace. Read the whole article here. Featured in the publication alongside QDiscovery President, Dave Barrett, is Director of Digital Forensics, Yaniv[...Read More]