Despite having an active litigation matter where discovery of Google Drive (formally Google Docs) or Gmail is needed to complete discovery, you may have recently received a notice from Google that says they will not respond to your subpoena unless it is served upon them in their local jurisdiction. This might have you and your client questioning if it is worth it to file a new lawsuit in Santa Clara County California so that you can duly serve Google with a subpoena for documents relevant to your case. You may be scared about spending another five to ten thousand dollars just relating to compelling Google’s cooperation.
Fear not! The California legislature passed CODE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE 2029.100 also known as the Interstate and International Depositions and Discovery Act in 2010. This relatively new law passed in 2010 allows you to domesticate your foreign subpoena and overcome the initial objections of Google demanding you file a lawsuit in their local place of business in order for their compliance to be garnered.
There are other options beyond domesticating the subpoena, including serving a subpoena on one of Google’s regional offices. If you have a case in one of the U.S. Federal District Courts pending, there is a decent chance that Google has a regional office contained within the boundaries of the U.S. District Court where your litigation is pending.
Google presently has regional offices in the following cities and states including:
- Chicago, Illinois
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Birmingham, Michigan
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Cambridge, Massachussets
- Reston, Virginia
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Austin, Texas
- Boulder, Colorado
- Seatle, Washington
- Kirkland, Washington
- Washington, District of Columbia
- San Francisco, California
- Mountain View, California
- Los Angeles, California
- Irving, California
Full list of Google Locations.
At Forensicon, we have the technology and the experience to assist your company or firm with all digital and electronic analysis. To learn more about how our computer forensic specialists can assist your firm, call us at 1-888-427-5667 or visit us on the web at www.forensicon.com
- Staff Recognized for Departing Employee Investigations - The first issue of Corporate Counsel Business Journal, CCBJ, includes an interview with our Director of Digital Forensics, Yaniv Schiff, and Solutions Architect, Curtis Collette, on the evolution of departing employee investigations. Departing Employee: When Do Investigations Become Necessary? appeared in the print publication, online edition, and on CCBJ’s In-House Tech website. For Increasing Numbers of Employers, Departing Employee Investigations[...Read More]
- Chicago Office Food Drive – The Results Are In - QDiscovery’s Chicago Office collected nearly 1,000 containers of food for the local food bank this Holiday Season! Our office competed with sister offices in Indiana and Connecticut. Alas, we came in third. Our sister offices each collected nearly 2,000 containers for their local food banks. Relatively new to the company-wide food drive, the Forensics Division[...Read More]
- QDiscovery QMobile App Wins Innovation Award - QDiscovery’s QMobile is winner of a 2017 Relativity Innovation Award. Presented at Relativity Fest, the Innovation Award celebrates organizations that create apps or integrations that extend the functionality of Relativity’s eDiscovery software. Our development team created an application that makes the analysis of mobile collections much more manageable. Relativity users can now produce and review mobile[...Read More]
- Moving and Changing - Acquired by Connecticut-based QDiscovery in 2016, Forensicon’s capabilities multiplied overnight, both in forensics brain power and eDiscovery expertise. As part of a leading provider of end to end litigation support, moving to larger offices that are more central to the Chicago legal community was inevitable.
- QDiscovery Named One of the Top 20 Providers of Legal Services! - Leading industry publication, CIO Magazine, has named Forensicon’s parent company, QDiscovery, to it’s Top 20 Providers of Legal Services. The annual listing includes 20 companies that are at the forefront of providing legal solutions and impacting the marketplace. Read the whole article here. Featured in the publication alongside QDiscovery President, Dave Barrett, is Director of Digital Forensics, Yaniv[...Read More]