Since the tragic bombing at the Boston Marathon earlier this week, there have been several fatalities and many severe casualties with more than a hundred people physically injured from the attack. The FBI has taken over the investigation into this heinous crime and is trying to uncover the identity of those involved with executing the attack.
Lee Neubecker, a digital forensics expert and former Boston resident, wanted to share this video in the hopes that others would tell their friends and family who have footage of the marathon, to forward their video and photos to the FBI to assist with speeding up the investigation.
An example how law enforcement can perform video forensics to uncover clues has been provided in this clip using videos posted publicly. These videos were recorded by amateurs who happened to capture important footage of the explosion. Neubecker hopes that those viewing this video will better understand the importance of individuals stepping forward to assist law enforcement with their investigation by providing unique footage that may provide further clues.
Neubecker appeals to anyone who attended the Boston Marathon earlier this week or that had friends and family there to please email any photos or videos captured to the FBI at email@example.com
- Mac OSX GPS Photo Forensics Tutorial - Forensicon Tutorial and Walkthrough Extracting GPS metadata from Mac OSX Terminal Command Line using MDLS command Forensicon’s President, Lee Neubecker provides an overview of how anyone can use the Macintosh OSX terminal native command line to extract embedded metadata contained within photos or videos. The “mdls” command extracts the following fields from photos where such[...Read More]
- Yaniv Schiff Promoted to Director of Digital Forensics - CHICAGO, Nov. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Forensicon, Inc., a Chicago-based digital forensics and eDiscovery firm, is pleased to announce the promotion of Yaniv Schiff from Senior Computer Forensics Examiner to Director of Digital Forensics. In Schiff’s new role as Director, he will lead company efforts to build out the team of digital forensics examiners and provide[...Read More]
- Chicago Election Judges Received Misinformation Calls - How could this have happened? The media has been reporting instances of Republican election judges receiving telephone calls misinforming them that their service was not needed on election day or that further training in remote far away places was required in order to participate as an election judge in Cook County Illinois. The Chicago Cook[...Read More]
- Cook County Electronic Voting Equipment Indicates Tampering - Evidence Suggesting Tampering Discovered In Suburban Cook County, Illinois General Election 2014, November 4th, 2014 – Electronic Voting Advisory Back in October of 2011, our firm, Forensicon, Inc., was invited in at the last minute to participate in an open Request for Bid project with the Suburban Cook County government’s electronic voting equipment forensic audit.[...Read More]
- Community Health Services Data Breached By Hackers - More than 4.5 Million patient records were compromised by a data breach disclosed this week by Community Health Systems, which operates 9 hospitals in Illinois. Three of the impacted hospitals in the Chicago area included Metro South Medical Center in Blue Island, Vista Medical Center and Vista Medical Center West in Waukegan. According to the[...Read More]